This is my lovely friend Marcie. Words cannot express how much she means to me.
And Currently, she is pregnant.
This is a photo from the bakeoff- Ashleigh is on the left, Marcie on the right.
Well???? guess what today is? That’s right- November 5th- and also Marcie’s due date. My mom finished sewing the rest of the quilt last night, and txt me and said, “you need to tell marcie that she can have her baby now, I’m all done with the quilt.” This made me laugh- and so I txt marcie and told her. She responded with “well good, I hope so, because I’m miserable.” SAD. She was having contractions all day yesterday, 10-15 minutes apart.
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll …. I woke up and checked my phone- and I had a txt from her saying “my water just broke” and that was at 5:50 am. SO. Now I’m just waiting… and waiting to hear anything… (I’m so excited, practically jumping up and down, telling all my customers how my friend is having her baby today…did I mention I’m REALLY excited???)
So I know eventually her husband will txt me, and we will probably be going to the hospital tonight or tomorrow.
So anyways- what does Marcie having her baby have to do this week’s five for friday? Well, here’s a quick and sad story: Marcie and I met at work, and had a common friend: Samantha. Marcie actually didn’t care too much for me (she thought I was really… well, ditsy…) well- Then our wonderful most caring and funny friend Samantha was in a horrible car accident (caused by the other driver…) and her and her 4 year old daughter jae lynn didn’t make it… Marcie and I always said it was Sam- she brought us together. So here we are- 4 years later- great friends, practically almost sisters. When Marcie found out she was pregnant, she knew boy or girl, the name would be Sam. And actually it’s a boy- to be named Samson.
So, (finally, I know that was long) this week’s five for friday is dedicated to the lovely missed (but not forgotten) Samantha Murphy.
So, these are a few things I would want her to know:
1. First and Foremost: I MISS YOU. Like crazy. I wish you were here right now, So we could sqeal and awweee over baby Sam together. You promised Marcie that you would always watch after her- and I know you’re doing that right now. And if I could talk to you, I’m sure you would go on and on about how much it means to you that baby Sam is named after you… Actually, I know it would have brought you tears of joy… lots of them. And you were such an amazing person- so wonderful, and it touches my heart that we will soon have another Sam.
2. As I look at your picture, I close my eyes and try to remember you. At work. At your house. Sitting outside in the bright sunshine on breaks. The way you would tap your fingernails on the counter… click click click.. over and over. You had the most wonderful laugh- it was so infectious. (in the good way of course..) Your beautiful smile. The way “dressing up” to go to the Buffalo club meant a little more makeup and hair pulled back wearing a hat… And, you rocked it. I still remember thinking how great you looked. You helped me through one of the hardest times in my life- and you never judged. You helped me become the person I am today. I’m scared of forgetting- you, of your habits. the things I loved about you most.
3. Jesse’s Girl. As in the song. I still listen to mix 106 on the radio, just like we used to at work every day… And I remember when the song came on the radio…
“ohmigod!! I LOVE this song! This song came out when I was in high school, it used to be my favorite!!” It made me laugh… and to this day every time I hear the song, I think of you. And we all knew how much you loved your tequila- and the song “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off “… (As a matter of fact, a bottle of tequila is our favorite thing to bring when we come visit you every year… we sit by you and talk, drinking… laughing…) but We were so upset at your funeral… why would it be so bad to play this song in the church? I mean, it was YOU. You loved the song so much, why couldn’t they play the music that you loved? Instead of that weird Irish muisic… but now when I look back, I know the music wouldn’t have mattered to you. But we were there, and that’s what counted the most, along with all the other people- you had a packed house that day.
4. I would also tell you that they’re gone. The boys that broke our hearts, the ones that you knew wouldn’t last. And the best part- WE kicked them to the curb. And you knew- knew that we would find the strength and courage to do this someday- and you never rubbed it in our faces. You let us figure out what we needed to. You gave advice even though you knew they were bad….Especially with Marcie… you knew she had to go her own path. make her mistakes. learn. And now she had the most wonderful man in her life… you would love him. And brian too. I know you would have given me a “Good job girl- you picked a good one.”
5. And last but not least, I would tell you how sorry I am. Sorry that I didn’t take the morning shift that day. Sorry that you never got to show off your new outfit that you were so excited about. So many times it has crossed my mind, the afternoon before. You convinced me it was okay, you didn’t mind coming in earlier. “I’ll get off around 3, and I don’t mind that. Don’t worry about it girl- I know how you like to sleep in, you always stay up so late.”
It took me a long time to be okay. To realize that although we might not like it, but the universe, or god, or whatever- has some bigger plan that we were not aware of, that we really had no control over. And the most crazy part- you knew. And I can’t make it through Michael Buble’s “home” without crying… this would be your anthem…
And I feel just like I’m living someone else’s life
It’s like I just stepped outside
When everything was going right
And I know just why you could not
Come along with me
But this was not your dream
But you always believed in me
And I hope that you’re okay. I hope you think about us, all of us here, and how there were SO many people that loved you. And JJ- I’m sure she’s the most beautiful angel ever… And I know that baby sam will always be looked over- I know both of you will always take care of him.